Monday, April 13, 2015

A New Life Lesson from a Stranger!

It was my first day in a new city and I was feeling extremely alone and sad. I had to leave my friends, family and city for this dream job. It is not very easy to adopt in a new city and initial few days usually tend to be very tough. It becomes even harder when you have left so many memories, somewhere else.

However on my very first day, I had a small conversation with one person who changed my whole attitude and filled me with optimism.

It happened when I was travelling in an e-rickshaw. Since it is hard for me to keep quiet I always end up doing small talks whenever I am travelling and the first question that is good to start a conversation is to ask about the rent of the vehicle for a day and how much they end up earning.  It always works!

Me - Bhaiya, What is the average of this battery operated rickshaw?
Him - Around 100-150 Km, it all depends on the load, traffic and stuff.
(He used quite a few English words)
Me - Till what grade have you studied?
Him- I am a graduate.
Me - From where?
He was a bit hesitant to answer it but said- Allahabad University.
Me - So you tried for job or anything after that?
Him - I was pretty sure that you will ask it, but this is my job. Though it might not be prestigious but it pays well.
Me - How much do you earn approximately per day?
Him - At least 500-700.
Me - It is a very good amount I guess.
Him - Yep, I end up earning 18K per month plus I get around 20K from my tenants.

Me - Arey Waah!
Him - Bhaiya the thing is you might think why I am doing this job, but trust me it gives me satisfaction. I earn pretty well through it and in the end and earn around 40K per month which is good enough for me.

Me - Sure it is.
Him - You know people say a lot of things about me but I feel I should appreciate the job which is giving me money, the problem with our country is that we attach prestige to the job and prefer to sit idle than earn with our able hands.
Me - Yeah, you are right.
Him - Umm I used to be a property dealer but soon realized I was not earning way too much and I had to spend money on maintaining status. I am happier now though the prestige is not there but I live with luxury.
Me - I am sure if everyone learns from you, our country will move very fast.

Him - Bhaiya, for saying purpose it is good but even you were astonished to know that a graduate is driving a rickshaw. "Angrejo ki zanjeeray to chali gayi pata nahi ye soch ki kab jaengi" (Though we are free from the chains of slavery but don't know when will we get rid of this thought process).

His last word had me wondering about our mindset and existence. What if every one of us starts thinking like this? Won’t it curb the issues of unemployment to a large extent?

Indeed we are too absorbed with the social norms to think wisely, think differently. I consider myself no exception to this and only if I would have thought like him I might have not left my city, friends and family. It is indeed time to look-up with honor towards every profession.


No job is big or small. Every hand that earns its butter and bread is worth respecting. This is my look-up story that inspires me every day to think differently and respect everyone.

This post intends to encourage and support look-up campaign of housing.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment